Your Diabetes And Your Children
Yes. Type 2 diabetes is a genetic disease.
The risk is highest on your children when:
- More than one family member has diabetes.
- if the children also are overweight.
- Having less to no activity in daily routine.
- Have the other risk factors for type 2 diabetes.
- 10-15% chance of developing type 2 diabetes when you have type 2 diabetes.
- If one identical twin has type 2 diabetes, there is a 75% likelihood of the other twin developing type 2 diabetes also.
Obese children are more than twice as likely to have diabetes as nonobese children, a new study shows.
Your emotional support is an important part of helping your child get to a healthy weight. Overweight kids can have low self-esteem or feel guilty.
- Try to stay positive and do not label them by using terms like "fat" or "thin."
- Give them a daily routine of activity mostly through games.
- Help them choose healthy and nutritious diet.
- Help your child understand that all healthy people need to actively manage their weight so its good that he/she also follows it.